Leather items from Quality Leather Dog Collars appeal for many reasons. They are not only durable and comfy, but they serve as a significant fashion investment for you and your dog. All the leather items we carry are treated with protective oils and dyes to prevent scratches and scrapes and to keep the collars soft and comfortable for everyday use. Even with all of the inherent protection, leather items attract general household dirt and grime, as well as absorb oils from the skin. For this reason, it’s important to clean them properly in order to make them last a lifetime — just like your friendship with your furry companion. In today’s blog, we will provide some helpful care instructions to keep your leather looking as good as new including Leather Honey Conditioner!
Cleaning Leather Products
It’s best to think of leather as skin, even if it’s not attached to the host’s body. Cleaning helps remove any dirt from within the pores of the leather. Although the cleaning process is pretty simple, it takes a bit of time and elbow grease.
- First, you will need to wipe any visible dirt using a dry piece of cloth.
- Next, you’ll need to mix mild laundry detergent and bottled or distilled water, if possible, to avoid any particles in tap water. In place of laundry detergent, you can as well go for any PH-balanced leather cleaner like saddle soap, as alkaline or acidic products may react with the chemical finish.
- Using a microfiber cloth or sponge, rub the mixture onto the surface, so that it penetrates into the collar. Be sure not to completely wet or soak the leather – water can damage leather over time.
- Finally, use another clean, soft cloth to buff the leather, and allow it to air dry before storing. Cleaning your leather collars and leashes on a regular basis goes a long way in preventing odor and stains.
Use Leather Honey Conditioner, 8 oz
Leather is a natural material and requires regular hydration to stay soft and beautiful. If left untreated, it dries out and becomes brittle. Thankfully, there are many different conditioners on the market to keep your leather collars and leashes in a good state without changing their appearance. At Quality Leather Dog Collars, we highly recommend Leather Honey Conditioner. It is an all-natural, non-toxic leather conditioner that is designed to moisturize, nourish and protect new leather. It rejuvenates old leather with minimal color change. Unlike most other leather conditioners, Leather Honey Conditioner helps the leather more water, snow, and rain resistant. Other benefits include:
- Prolongs the life of your leather dog collars and leads.
- Reconditions your items, saving you money that would otherwise be used to replace them.
- Increases leather flexibility.
Applying Leather Honey Conditioner 8 oz is quite easy. You will need to use the applicator sponge that comes with the package. Gently spread the conditioner on the surface to form a thin, even coat, and allow a minimum absorption time of two hours (preferably overnight). Wipe clean. As a helpful rule of thumb, never pour it directly on the leather, as it applies in a glob causing residue. For ease of application, this conditioner should be used at or above room temperatures. Be sure to follow manufacturer’s instructions to avoid damage.
Quality Leather Dog Collars
Cleaning and conditioning leather dog items with the right products is a great way to take care of your pooch. It will not only help in restoring and maintaining the good look of your leather collars and leashes, but it will help keep the dog’s skin under the collar healthy. If you have any further questions on leather care, please reach out to us at Quality Leather Dog Collars!